The kids are excited and eager to help, so the warm days have found them in the dirt, helping to weed and turn the soil in the existing garden beds. Matt has been hard at work preparing new beds for planting. With a shovel in hand and the sun overhead, he dug out a new 3 foot by 12 foot bed.
Using reclaimed lumber, he built a frame for the space. We found the pine boards (previously used as interior paneling, I'm sure) curbside, bundled neatly for the taking.
Once filled with a good mix of sand and soil, this bed will be ready for planting. We're hoping to add at least three more beds of the same size, in addition to the two 10 foot beds from last year. We'll need plenty of space to accomodate all the seeds we've started inside.
Sophia took over the work for this project, carefully measuring the dirt, placing the seeds and marking the trays.
Charlotte was content to watch, happily shaking the seed packets and trying to foil Sophia's organization by stealing the little flag labels she had made for each variety planted.
So far, we have peas, basil, zucchini, eggplant, gourds, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, cantaloupe and watermelon started. There are plenty of seeds that will go straight in the ground when the dirt is ready, joining the first sets of onions that have already been planted.
There's still a good deal more working to be done before this part of our plan is complete, and in the meantime, we will continue to wait. Wait for the seedlings to emerge, for the earth to warm, for the sun to grow stronger, all the while dreaming of the good things to come.