Saturday, June 25, 2011

passing it on

The other day, I received an e-mail from an address I didn't recognize. The unknown address -- coupled with the subject line refering to a "gift" -- had me ready to hit delete. Suspicious as I was, I opened it just to see. There were no links or attachments, no requests for aid or information about a windfall inheritance. Instead, I found only this quote:


“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other media. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours--clearly and directly, to keep the channel open."
-Martha Graham


I sat for a moment, wondering at the timing of this seemingly stray message. There's been a strong and steady internal debate lately about all the things I do and those that I would like to add, looking at the direction I am heading and why I feel compelled to move that way. I've spent a lot of time questioning and comparing, which is why this quote struck me as so fitting. It is not for me to determine how good it is. Reading that brought a sense of what could almost be described as relief.

And so, I am passing this quote along to you, in the hopes that it might bring a similar bit of peace to where you are along your path right now.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to have that quote up on my wall in college. i'd forgotten about it. thank you for passing it on. the reminder comes at a timely moment here as well.