Friday, January 28, 2011

gluten-free baking

For the past several months, I've cut gluten out of my diet. It has been easier than expected to avoid the obvious sources -- traditional breads, pasta and baked goods --though it has been challenging to determine which unexpected foods contain gluten (who knew soy sauce has wheat in it? I sure didn't!). I was impressed with how little I craved sweets through the holidays, but as winter has worn on, I've been in the mood for some homemade treats. The task of mixing different flours and starches seems a bit daunting to me, so I've been experimenting with some of the mixes available at the store.

Recently we tried out a chocolate chip cookie mix.



The cookies were a little dry and crumbly, so with half the batter still in the bowl, I added in enough plain yogurt to make it more the consistency of cake batter.



The result was a tasty, moist chocolate chip cake, perfect with some ice cream on top. Sweet tooth satisfied...

0 comments: