Monday, August 1, 2011

in the kitchen

With the abundance of ripe vegetables, fresh eggs and savory herbs this time of year brings, there has been no shortage of delicious meals coming out of this kitchen. One of our favorite dishes is this quiche, a dinner Sophia is so fond of she is certain I will send her off to college with a stash of mama-made quiches for her freezer. (This mama thinks Sophia will know how to make it before we send her on her way.)

She's already mastered making the crust....




Sophia's Favorite Quiche


Whole Wheat Crust

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
5-6 Tbsp. cold butter, cubed
2-3 Tbsp. ice cold water


Mix the flour and salt. Cut in the butter until the dough is the consistency of corn meal. Sprinkle in the water, working the dough until it gathers in a ball. Roll out on a floured board, or wrap in plastic and hold in the fridge until ready to warm up and roll.




The filling:

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup chopped frozen spinach
salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup grated cheese


Saute the onions in oil. Add spinach and cook until thawed. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. In a large bowl, whisk eggs together and add milk and cheese. Stir the spinach and onions into the egg mixture. Pour into a pie plate lined with dough. (For extra flavor, we often place slices of gruyere in the bottom of the pie plate before pouring in the egg mix).

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.



I love when the children request favorite meals we make at home, and I'm always pleased to have them working alongside me in the kitchen. They take such pride in their cooking and enjoy their meals that much more when they have had a hand in growing and cooking the food. I hope that someday they will be confident in preparing good food, even when mama isn't there to help.

2 comments:

Kelly Ramos said...

I make a similiar quiche the only difference is that I use a gluten free (store bought) crust from Whole Foods and I add broccoli. I have become more confident in my gluten free baking these last few months but have not tried to make my own gf pie crust. Do you have any recipes or suggestions? Your quiche looks delish! I just might make one for dinner tonight!

Amanda Greco Holmes said...

Hi Kelly

When I was baking gluten free, I liked to use the all-purpose mixes (like Bob's Red Mill) since I found it a bit daunting to mix the different flours. I did make some good crusts using that flour, but they worked better with a bit of extra butter and ice cold water. Hope that helps!